Welcome Login Register
Advanced

What's coming up?

What's coming up?
July 14, 2010 07:23PM
I figured since we're the vast majority of the contributing writers at the minute it'd be interesting to hear what everyone working on.

I've been trying to do something a little bit more than just the traditional guides (my latest Rome one for example tried to be a bit of a history lesson too) and so today I started writing a guide on New York about how difficult it is to sum up such an idiosyncratic city like New York in a travel guide. I got distracted after 20 minutes though so I've only got about 500 words at the minute.

What's coming up from you? What have we got to look forward to?
Re: What's coming up?
July 14, 2010 07:43PM
Just finished a guide on my home city of Chester which is now on the site. Working on a guide for Camden Market, London with some nice pics - well I think they are nice - and got another in the very early stages on Murcia, Spain.

The problem with that one is I might have to split it into a couple of guides as there are several large towns, villages and a city I want to include.

After that not sure. I keep meaning to write up one on Galway, Ireland but somehow always get distracted.
July 14, 2010 09:06PM
Only thing in the pipeline from me is a guide to Ghent in Belgium where I'll be having my stag-do, but I'm not too confident about remembering anything or taking any photos.
July 14, 2010 11:09PM
Runswick Bay- English guides are popular this year and it is the prettiest spot. You're right though- it's not easy to keep thinking of a new angle. I liked the book heroine one I did on Saltburn, so might try something similar again. Also got a little surfing spot in the Alentejo in mind. Am in Poland in August but it's a family wedding and I won't get much chance to look around unfortunately. Ooh, Ghent Richard- I fancy there. Shame you won't remember it. Expect you'll be tied to some very stylish lamp-posts- enjoy! smileys with beer
July 14, 2010 11:46PM
Safari in Tanzania (Ngorongoro Crater). Possibly one about Yosemite Park in California too. Have toyed with writing a guide about Bahrain, where I lived until recently but it's not much ofa holiday destination!
I'm going to work in Tanzania soon and will be there for at least two years, so expect regular East Africa guides... Lake Victoria, Kilimanjaro and Zanzibar are the first three on my list.
July 14, 2010 11:57PM
You are one lucky man Jon.

If you get chance visit Shaba in Northern Kenya (read my guide). Joy's Camp is the most incredible place and the whole area is fabulous with very few tourists in sight. In fact we had the camp to ourselves the first two nights before an American couple arrived to ruin it by constantly moaning about President Obama, Democrats in general and, strangely, the entire population of Mexico which they deemed as responsible for 99.9 per cent of the world's ills.
July 16, 2010 11:02PM
As always my intentions remain grander than my output. I'd like to write a piece on the capital of Madagascar, Tana, a city that can be visited if you are careful despite the home office advice to avoid it. I also plan to write a companion piece to my Coimbra article in Portugal and finally we took a weekend break to Palma in Majorca last weekend, so it would be good to produce something in time for peak holiday season...

Never a dull moment smiling smiley

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 11:02PM by Paul Read (Moderator).
July 23, 2010 08:21PM
Welcome back Arif- enjoy your travels? You'll be guide writing like mad with all those cities. Got a favourite? cool smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.