Welcome Login Register
Advanced

Food for thought

Posted by Kevin Hughes 
Food for thought
July 14, 2010 09:53AM
On my travels I have tried the usual weird food stuff like snails and frog's legs. However, probably the strangest thing I've tried is deep fried cows intestines in Argentina - really tasty and enjoyable meal in truth.

Now I wouldn't mind betting some of you, especially those who have been lucky enough to go to parts of Asia, will have consumed some really weird stuff. So, what is the strangest ingredient you have eaten as part of a meal?
Re: Food for thought
July 14, 2010 07:20PM
HORSE. Russia. I win.

Okay, it's not weird if you spend a lot of time in France but bear in mind it was a bunch of people aged about 13-17 who had just got off a long flight and turned up in a less than welcoming Moscow who thought that the breaded meat they were eating was chicken.

I think there was a blog post on the site which had some amazingly strange delicacies - we should dig that up.
July 14, 2010 07:36PM
I have eaten horse too, so 2 - 1 to the Villa.

Forgot about that blog post to be honest. Just wondered what weird delicacies others had tried.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2010 07:36PM by Kevin Hughes (Moderator).
July 14, 2010 09:04PM
I visited Cambodia where people say you must try the deep fried tarantulas, but I really couldn't face it. Horse is big in Slovenia, and there's a late night burger-shack called "Hungry Horse" in Ljubljana. But again, I wussed out I'm afraid.

I did have dove in Qatar, but I suppose that's not too odd.
July 14, 2010 09:29PM
I suppose it depends if it was the bird of peace or the popular soap product Richard.

Can't believe you didn't try horse it's delicious and what's the difference? It a herbivore the same as a cow. Have to admit though even I probably would have thought twice about deep fried spider although could be a handy snack if there's a crowd of eight - at least you'd get a leg each.
July 15, 2010 08:08AM
The difference is that my girlfriend goes to a stables and rides a horse every Tuesday night then gets on the phone and tells me how lovely the horse is. For me the major difference is that I can eat cows and still be talked to afterwards!
July 15, 2010 10:30AM
Chris you're right, I wrote a blog post on the world’s strangest delicacies back in February. I had quite a few suggestions and it wasn’t the best job trying to find pictures of some of them, especially the century eggs (makes me feel a bit squeamish now just thinking about them). Has anyone actually tried century eggs? I really don’t think I could ever bring myself to do so.

http://www.simonseeks.com/blog/world%E2%80%99s-strangest-delicacies
July 15, 2010 03:21PM
Guinea pig for me. Not that weird, really, but why anyone would put themselves through the trouble of eating anything THAT boney, is beyond me.

Norway also has a 'delicacy' called rakfisk - essentially rotting trout. It looks deceptively like smoked salmon, but you'd need a seriously strong stomach to eat it, and the smell lingers in the house for days. Afficiniados talk of certain vintages - I hear the 2008 one is good...
August 08, 2010 03:29AM
I ate Skippy in Melbourne and at Uluru, would have eaten a wichiti grub had there been any left on the barbie by the time I was drunk enough too.

Other than that I have eaten the worm out of a tequila bottle
August 23, 2010 10:35AM
Entirely forgot the strangest foodstuff of the lot. It is only eaten on one particular island, where a significant minority of the population labour under the mistaken belief that it is in fact edible. It goes by the name of Marmite...

Strange people!winking smiley
August 23, 2010 09:06PM
Oh Beate- don't remind me! Just back from Poland and have to go food shopping tomorrow- no Marmite for my toast. Honey'll have to do. Did you have good hols? Expecting to hear all soon thumbs up
August 24, 2010 11:22AM
It's been a nice summer, thanks! I've spent most of the time working in and around London, plus a couple of weeks travelling around Norway. Will see what I can make of it, though it might be a bit too marginal for a guide - have a sneaky suspicion my 104 mosquito bites might not tempt too many peoplewinking smiley

How was Poland? Where did you go? Krakow is one of my favourite places.
August 24, 2010 09:27PM
Family wedding near Belchatow, Central Poland, not far south of Lodz. I flew in and out of Krakow and stayed overnight with my cousin there who runs a bakery business. It was my 3rd Polish wedding in as many years and as usual we ate and we drank and we danced over and over again for 2 days! My Dad was only reunited with his Polish brothers and sister 3 years ago after a gap of 64 years so these celebrations are a bit special to me. I don't get too much opportunity for tourism while I'm there as we mostly stay with family but my husband was with me this trip and we made a bit of a bid for freedom so I may have a guide in the offing. The moszies got me too- all that rain that's been about.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.